Sisters In Faith Bible: A New Journey Through the Good Book for African-American Women
NASHVILLE, Oct. 18, 2012 /Christian Newswire/ — Thomas Nelson, a world leading Christian publisher, is preparing to release a new Bible that will provide African-American women with an important and inspiring new tool to help bring their Sunday morning experience into their everyday lives. The Sisters in Faith Holy Bible: Encouraging and Empowering African-American Women with God’s Truth ($39.99, ISBN 9781401675158) is expected to address the concerns of today’s Christian women who are seeking God’s wisdom and guidance in every area of their busy and complex lives. The Bible will be available January 1, 2013 in stores and online.
This beautifully designed Bible will have a unique African-American perspective, thanks to executive editors Michele Clark Jenkins and Stephanie Perry Moore. Michele and Stephanie are the co-founders of Sisters in Faith, an entity established to create meaningful products that encourage and empower African-American women with God’s truth, and address the needs and concerns of life that are particularly challenging to the women in this culture.
“African-American women have a different history and a different presence from any other demographic,” said Jenkins. “Their history is characterized by strength in the face of instability; making a-way out of no-way and self-definition in the face of a lost identity. A substantial number of African-American women are working mothers and oftentimes single mothers. Most are looking to cut a new path. The Sisters in Faith Bible is designed to speak directly to the specific needs of this group of women.”
“African-American women have long suffered and long loved the Lord in such a way that being Christian and being an African-American woman is synonymous,” adds Moore. “But very few Christian products reveal the African-American woman’s voice to the body of Christ and almost none have been created to speak directly to her in a way that relates to her life and her struggle. This will be a journey to awaken a new and dynamic spirit for these women.”
Jenkins is the Senior Director of the Public Policy Consulting Group for Griffin & Strong, P.C. and also specializes in entertainment contracts and business development. She is the author of numerous faith-based books and co-editor of several Bible projects. Moore has also served as co-editor for several Bible projects and is the author of over fifty young adult, inspirational fiction books and four adult titles.
Together, they have gathered twelve women — who live in different areas of the country, and are experiencing different ages and stages of their lives, relationships and careers — to contribute to this project. Joann Rosario Condrey, a recording artist, worship leader and ordained evangelist; Helen Delaney, co-pastor at Liberty Church in Marietta, Georgia; Vanessa Davis Griggs, a motivational speaker and author of more than thirteen novels; Keren Heath, a writer, entrepreneur and worship leader; Tiffani-MiShelle Johnson, a poet, actor, screenwriter and director; Jennifer Keitt, author, host of Today’s Black Woman radio show, and founder of Zakar magazine and the Jennifer Keitt Life Institute for Women; Jamell Meeks, Director of Women’s Ministries for the Salem Baptist Church of Chicago; Brenda Noel, an award-winning freelance publishing professional and partner in ECHO Creative Media; Dawn Sherill, M. Div., co-founder and partner in ECHO Creative Media ; Kim Cash Tate, an author, attorney and co-founder of the nonprofit ministry, Colored in Christ; Karen Waddles, Assistant to the Publisher of Moody Publishers, the publishing arm of Moody Bible Institute; and Lakeba Hibbler Williams, a licensed counselor, speaker, trainer, and educator.
The Sisters in Faith Bible is a sister-to-sister guide through the Word of God that demonstrates how the Word is active and practical for every part of life, including a sister’s interaction with God, herself, her family members, her career and co-workers and others. Featured sections will include:
- The Heart — an enriching overview of each book of the Bible, which describes its content and theme, and includes personal insight from one of the contributors, telling how each book specifically spoke to her heart.
- Arise! — devotionals that have been developed by women to share their understanding of God’s Word in ways that directly address women’s issues and concerns. These fifty devotionals address topics such as church, prayer life, parents, marriage, divorce, children, accountability, forgiveness, jealousy, friendship, trust, leadership, stress management, money, organization, work ethic and many more.
- Quest and Discovery — questions and answers that address some of life’s most difficult situations head-on and the truth in the Scripture that makes rising above the challenges of life seem attainable.
- She Speaks — inviting, first-person accounts that allow the reader to look at life through the eyes of the women in the Bible, as they relate to the joys, sorrows, victories, and defeats of these sisters from long ago.
- Notes to Self — fifty snippets of wisdom that include Biblical insight, the supporting Scripture, and a personal resolution to challenge and encourage the reader.
- A Place of Honor — lessons of faith gained through the lives of ten Biblical women of African descent.
- Lyrical Expressions — five poems that address real-life dilemmas and the resulting drama. Each poem will lead the reader to the realization that the only true help for these situations is through God.
- Empowered Faith — motivational articles to help readers find the trust and confidence we are called to place in God and the people He has given us to enhance our lives, and also to help readers understand that through the Word of God, we are empowered to live fruitful, abundant lives, fully engaged in the pursuit of healthy relationships with God and others.
Thomas Nelson, Inc., part of the HarperCollins Christian Publishing division, is a world leading provider of Christian content, and has been providing readers with quality inspirational product for more than 200 years. The Company publishes and provides multiple formats of award-winning Bibles, books, cookbooks and digital content, with distribution of its products in more than 100 countries. The company’s live events division is the leading producer of the nation’s largest Christian live events. Thomas Nelson is headquartered in Nashville, TN with additional offices in Plano, TX. For additional information, please visit www.thomasnelsoncorporate.com.
- Sisters In Faith Bible: A NEW JOURNEY THROUGH THE GOOD BOOK for AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN (theindustrycosign.wordpress.com)
- Everyday Matters Bible for Women – A Review (charread09.wordpress.com)